CA vs Loose Pins

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 07 Jan 2000 09:28:18 +0100

You of course have a right to your considered opinion. As do we all. But I will reply
point for point so you might understand that fact that there are folks like me who do
not aggree with this approach.. (at least to the degree you may) is not a bad thing
either.

Frank Cahill wrote:

> Richard and John,
>
> what do you do when someone can't afford a new piano?  Despite the fact that I live
> in  perhaps the most affluent part of the USA, not everyone has the money for a new
> piano.  When the home is modest and so are its contents, it's a good bet that a new
> piano is out of the question.

I tell them to save for a piano and make other arrangements in the meantime. Most often
enough, if it really is a priority, folks will find a to afford a entry level
instrument. I do not accept the poverty line of agurmentation... ok ??

> In most cases, these people had to scrimp to get the junk that they have!!!!!

Baloney.. this is the exception not the rule, and a good critical look at other
properties often enough bear this out. In such real cases.. I understand the dilema and
do indeed attempt to help out. But in most cases, folks just dont want to spend any more
then they think they absolutely have to.

> I have no problem with the CA fix.  People are happy that I can buy them some time.
> I tell them it is a Band-Aid, and may only last a few years. I tell them that the
> piano is at the end of it's useful life...no lies, just the truth. Then it's the
> customer's decision.

I do have a problem with the CA fix. It works only a certain percent of the time, and
often enough creates a problem of its own. Buying folks some time is well enough if
there is a serious need for time, and a serious desire for to work towards getting an
acceptable instrument. But this most often is not the case. I too tell them that the
piano is at the end of its usefull life, and tho the customer has the choice of persuing
the matter.. I also have the choice of working on the piano or not. I choose not too in
95 % of the cases.

> Does this hurt the industry? NO!  Look at it this way. If these people cannot afford
> a new piano and the junker can't be fixed, they will not be playing ANY piano.
> There goes another future purchaser of a new piano.  What is important is to get
> these folks playing. In time, they will upgrade. I've seen it more than once.

I take issue with this. It does and has clearly hurt the industry, tho admitedly it is
hard to document this. Still I have no doubt in my mind about the truth of this. The
last 50 years has seen great strides in the piano industry to be sure... it has also
seen the advent of unmitigated blatant garbage passed off as pianos on the public. It
does not help the public to be informed that this stuff "isnt so bad really".. or "we
can paste it together", or the like

> I feel that I am doing these folks a big favor.

And I would feel that I would doing these folks a disservice by going along with such
repairs.

> Would I perform this repair on a quality grand? NO! But I don't hesitate on a cheap
> vertical. This fix has always worked for me.

We aggree on the grand thing, but I very rarely would consider bothering with "cheap"
(your words) verticals that are shot. And if the fix "always works" for you... then why
is this not something to be used on quality grands ?? the fact is that you yourself
obviously see something about this "fix" that makes you not consider it good enough for
quality grands. I simply draw the line a bit farther down the ladder.

> I realize that some techs work ONLY on grands. I can't be that selective.  Most of
> my clients are beginning pianists with very low-end pianos. They almost always say
> "this is good enough for a beginner. If she/he keeps playing, I want to get a better
> piano."

Well, I cannot be quite that selective either, and I am not one of these "Steinway only"
kind of guys. (Tho they have their positive place as well). Beginning pianists perhaps
more then anyone have most to benifit from being able to play on a reasonably well
functioning, decent condition piano. Many a beginner has become frustrated and given up
thinking that they havent enough talent, when the fact is that the piano is at fault.
But this is a subject matter in itselft perhaps worthy of its own thread.

> As for myself, there is no way I'd buy my 9 yr old a new piano if I could fix it
> with CA...not if she were just starting.  In truth, she has been playing about 4 or
> 5 years, and I just purchased a new KAWAI vertical to replace my 80 yr old STEIFF.

grin... who is the "she" we are suddenly talking about. ?? Kawai pianos are ok enough.
Nothing wrong with an 80 year old Steiff either if it is in ok enough condition.

> Just some opposing thoughts gentlemen.Gotta keep people thinking. Thanks for your
> time.

Frank.. and others... dont misunderstand me... This line we each draw is not so easy to
establish, yet each of us do. I certainly respect your argumentation from your own
standpoint, and as long as you execute your work and continuing learning process in the
sincere desire to improve the condition of a piano then you will have only my respect,
in spite of our dissagreement on such matters. But there are several sides to this
question, and addmitadly there are pros and cons in what ever choice we end up with.
Still, it is my experience and opinion, that such work in most cases in the whole and by
and large.. does more harm then good. The poverty issue not-withstanding. So I choose to
be an influence in the way I  feel I can contribute the most with.

And hey... besides...grin.. Other techs end up getting a lot of work thrown their way
because of guys like me.. really... everybody should be happy with this arrangment if
you ask me. In any case.. this is not a matter of snobishness or the like. I dont look
"down" on folks choosing to approach pianos as you say you do. Quite the opposite
really,,

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway