METHOD

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Sat, 01 Jul 2000 07:02:52 -0500

Hi Rogerio,

    Brian, Bill and Ed have all given you some excellent methods and advice.
I'd like to add a few other comments.
    After setting let off and a rough drop, another method is to set your
key dip
fairly precisely (9.5 -10.0 mm), especially on the first and last white
keys of
every section, then set the hammer blow on those same first and last white
keys to give you the aftertouch you want. If everything works out the way you
want it, then set your hammer line to those guides. Lower hammers give
less aftertouch and higher gives more. You're not using a predetermined
hammer blow distance this way because there are some pianos that it just
won't work to set the blow distance to a predetermined measurement. So,
if you run into problems with things working out OK, this is another way to
customize your regulation to each individual piano and figuring out where
you might need to make compromises.
    Then after finalizing your regulation, you can go back and make slight
adjustments to the dip to even out the aftertouch, where necessary.
    Bear in mind when determining the blow and aftertouch, that incorrect
hammer boring can affect your hammer blow/aftertouch relationship, as
can keys that are set too high or too low.
    I hope I haven't confused the issue here but there are different ways of
approaching this and the method above has worked very well for me.
Let me know if I need to try and clarify any of this.

Avery