lesson learned

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 23:36:44 EDT

I get very few callbacks on my work and take what few I do get as an
opportunity to build good will.  To be sure, with 3211 names in my customer
file, I suppose I can afford to lose a few, but I try not to.

Several years ago, I tuned a Yamaha console in a church social hall, and was
promptly called back.  The woman said her daughter, who was a music student
at the university (and therefore expert) told her "D below middle C was out
of tune."  When I returned to check it, it was right on.  But listening to
it, and comparing to the notes around, it was harsh and stuck out.  I voiced
it down.  In retrospect, though, I don't think I was smart, on leaving, to
remark to the woman that her daughter ought to learn the difference between
"tune" and "tone."  I could have imparted the same information without being
abrasive.  I've never been called to do any more tuning for them.

Bill Maxim