Tripping, (was METHOD)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 09:31:16 EDT

Ric writes:
<< I have always wondered if this period of time between when the elbow makes
contact with the let off button and the jack actually escapes the knuckle,
has a name.

Greetings,
    Gee Ric,  that sounds like you are describing a fistfight or a
jailbreak!!
For this interval, I submit "tripping".  That is what is happening to the
jack, and it is what the pianist does when we get it exactly right.

<<Beyond flat knuckles and the the jack position set screw, (if
any) are there any other considerations, if it seems too much or uneveness
is a problem. >>

    Everybody has their own way to regulate escapement, here is mine: it is
suitable for high performance regulation.

   While not willing to give up full power, which requires the jack lie
sufficently under the knuckle,  I want the piano to be as sensitive at
ppppppp as possible.  So, that means minimizing the resistance that occurs at
the moment the "trip" begins, (see how easily that word fits in here?).
There are six adjustments that bear on tripping, (spring, key-dip,let-off,
drop, balancier, and jack), beyond which we assume things like backcheck,
pinning, knuckle and jack condition, etc. to be within limits.
    The jack has to be as far under the knuckle as required to produce full
power, but no more. I test by stopping the hammer at various heights while
thumping the key.
    The spring should lift the hammer as fast as possible without that lift
being felt in the key. No more, no less.  If less, repetition becomes
unreliable; if more, the trip becomes bumpy.
    The drop and the let-off are set to the same distance, (the least amount
possible without the hammer reaching the string's excursion zone while
touching either the jack or balancier).  The drop is dependant not only on
the screw, but the key-dip, so the dip must be close before final drop is
done.
     Conventional wisdom lauds the mutual engagement of the tender and drop
screw, and when it happens, it appears to be a display of elegant
engineering.  However, if their engagement is staggered a slight amount, the
perceived resistance to the trip is reduced.  A similar example is the
staggering of the various registers of jacks in a harpsichord, if they all
must pluck, (cluck?),  together, you have a very heavy, "poppy" keyboard.  By
spreading the onset of the trip's resistance a little, some smoothness is
gained. In pianos, this point is often moot, as various actions demand
set-ups that put the contact points at various combinations.
      The final decision in the trip is the setting of the balancier.  It has
to be near its final position to get an even hammer line, which, along with
let-off, has to be done before setting a keydip,etc..  but after everything
is done,  the balancier can be raised so that only the barest contact between
the jack and the knuckle can be felt.  I set this contact to be as light as
possible and still let me know that they touch.  The effect is that the jack
is in contact with the knuckle from the moment the key is touched, but on a
very soft blow, the added support from the balancier is enough to reduce the
pressure between the jack and the knuckle, reducing the effort that happens
during the trip.
      The combination of consistant aftertouch,( which I mentioned in the
first post), soft spring, minimal stop distances, and propulsion help from
balancier can make a very sensitive action. When everything is just right,
the trip becomes almost transparent at pianissimo levels. It is also an
action that can be very dependable, and speed is not compromised.   An action
set up this way will play as fast as one with heavy springs and the increased
drop they require, but will be far more enticing to play softly.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT