Tripping, (was METHOD)

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 13:04:32 EDT

In a message dated 7/02/2000 9:40:56 AM, ED F. wrote:

<<"The final decision in the trip is the setting of the balancier.  It has
to be near its final position to get an even hammer line, which, along with
let-off, has to be done *before* setting a keydip,etc..">>

Ed;
 I'ma gonna has to disagree wif y'all here. While it is entirely possible to
regulate as you describe, in my opinion it is not the most efficient way.

 While I agree with the majority of your terms/post this area of "dip" is
vastly important to setting the remainder of the positions. When setting up a
keyboard for fine regulation I always set the dip first, assuming level keys
at 'a' correct keyheight of course.  Key "dip", per se, is never felt by the
performer and/or the technician, providing there is sufficient dip to allow
the functioning of the individual action trains. On the other hand what is
felt 'is' the presence or absence of "aftertouch".

 Yes, aftertouch may be changed/affected by increasing/decreasing
dip......... as well as blow distance and to a lesser extent let off, drop
and check height. However the 'aftertouch' is what you would be adjusting and
not the 'dip' (this can be argued as semantical falderal...but there it is :)
 A well selected dip can be determined during keybed regulation and then
forgottten about as being "dip".

 In a truly "consistent" setting of aftertouch throughout the scale the "dip"
would look more like a saws tooth edge rather than a straight line. This is
because of inconsistencies in knuckle size, string heights, hammer heights,
etc. the area we are dealing with in the "aftertouch arena" is in the
'perception' of eveness for the performer. Dip and aftertouch are really
'integral' but 'separate' parts of the same whole and may be thought of
thusly......Dip cannot be changed without affecting aftertouch, although
aftertouch may be changed several ways without affecting dip.

 In the final analysis what counts is the smooth, consistent, functioning of
the action in meeting the performers requirements, expectations and
perceptions, no matter the terms or methods we use to get there.

 Fly safe and remember that the pilot is flying by "historical" methodology,
i.e. one good takeoff and one good landing! :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)