Stuck to bench top

ROBERT RANN lindyhigh@hotmail.com
Sun, 02 Jul 2000 15:35:19 EDT

just a quick reply regarding bench tops and hinges.  Heat will soften old
shellac.  Many times sitting for hours at the pumping player has caused the
finish to soften due to body heat and moisture especially in a very warm
area.  The hinges on the bench should be towards the piano if it is a player
designed bench because the lid lifts and is held at an angle by a prop piece
to aid in the pumping effort.   I am not an RPT or a professional tuner I
mean I don't go out to tune or service pianos.  Over the years I have taught
my self to tune and to rebuild player pianos.  I have all my experience on
the upright the ones I have heard to be referred to as "so much fire wood".
I most likely have enough experience to tune and service the older pianos
especially the old players.  I would like like some honest feedback from the
experienced techs regarding the publics need for player piano servicing
based in north carolina bob at lindyhigh@hotmail.com