another version of Listening "too much"

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 18:35:32 EDT

In partial response to what Les mentioned about taking 90 minutes to tune a
piano, let me say this. When I have listened to other tuners, either just as
an observation, or as part of a tutoring session, one thing I found is that
most tuners spend too much time listening, and not enough time tuning. It
seems to me that a tuner would be much faster if they would manipulate the
hammer, instead of listening to whether the string is out of tune or not.

In other words, STOP LISTENING AND START TUNING. Keep the hammer moving. If
the unison doesn't sound right, or if the beats are too fast or too slow,
move that hammer, and make a change. I have found that constantly
manipulating the hammer, and changing the string, I can get to where I have
to be much faster, than if I first listen to what the problem, analyze it,
and then attempt to make a change.

For you newbies, this might sound rather drastic, but give it a try.

Willem