METHOD

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 02 Jul 2000 20:44:46 -0400

Start with levelling the keys (keyframe bedded, of course).

Rough-in dip (slightly deep) with keydip block.

Set hammer line, regulate and get the jacks in a straight line.
(all repinning and prep-work has already been done).

With the action back in the piano, spot level the keys and set the dip
with a consistent finger pressure with a block. One way to insure adequate
dip on
the sharps is to have the backchecks even with the naturals' backchecks
while in the rest position, set sharps' dip to make the sharps check-in
height equal to the naturals check-in height (the sharps must not go
below the level of the naturals).

Regulate again. If the aftertouch is not acceptable then the capstans may
be in the
wrong location (If the hammers are new). If the hammers are old they may be
too short.

I have found that by simply correcting the angle at which the capstan is
set in the key
(sometimes without changing the Key Ratio)  the jack will escape the
knuckle ideally.

Look for what is causing the discrepancy and assess the feasibility of
correction.

To me, aftertouch is an automatic by-product of a regulation. If something
makes
this so dramatically different between notes to require altering the dip
from note to
note, I would rather correct the problem with the poor geometry/leverage to
produce
consistency.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician