Tripping, (was METHOD)

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 01:36:44 -0500

> Ric writes:
> << I have always wondered if this period of time between when the elbow
makes
> contact with the let off button and the jack actually escapes the knuckle,
> has a name.
>
> Greetings,
>     Gee Ric,  that sounds like you are describing a fistfight or a
> jailbreak!!
> For this interval, I submit "tripping".  That is what is happening to the
> jack, and it is what the pianist does when we get it exactly right.

Well Ed is trying to make me an escape artist or a hippy. But I am LOL.
"Tripping" does has connotations springing from the flower child days in
case our next generation of tuners has never seen "Up in Smoke" or "Easy
Rider".   Actually I like the term "escape artist"---since the escapement
period
of keystroke, which includes the jack tripping is a very important aspect of
of regulation, and it is an "art" to get it "right".  Of the key dip, the
most perceived or felt in touch is the "escape"; which includes feeling of
the first contact of tripping if I may expand on Ed's bon mot, the length of
the trip to release, and travel from
release to bottom of key dip.  We are dealing in micro aspects but that is
all part of "tripping".

>      Conventional wisdom lauds the mutual engagement of the tender and
drop
> screw, and when it happens, it appears to be a display of elegant
> engineering.  However, if their engagement is staggered a slight amount,
the
> perceived resistance to the trip is reduced.
> Ed Foote RPT

An interesting topic.  So which could come first  for less perceived
resistance?  The drop screw contact? ric