Tool for the Technical Test

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 04 Jul 2000 08:56:03 -0400

Phil,

It is better to take a tool and not need it, than to not take the tool and need
it.

As I recall, when I took both the tuning and technical tests in 1996, I needed
only my regular tuning case and one other toolbox.  I didn't find any power
tools needful, but you might; it depends on how you're used to doing things.  I
assume you have the technical examination source book.  You could re-read the
introduction and take only the suggested tools; that might lighten your load.

I've been told that one of the main reasons applicants do not pass this test is
that they are not efficient and run out of time.  I felt that way when I took
the tuning exam.  It didn't come out quite the way I hoped, but I knew I
wouldn't have time to do the whole thing over, so I had to leave it go.
Fortunately, I passed.  Also, I made a mistake on the string knot and it looked
very stupid indeed.  But, not having time to do it over, I had to let it go.  It
passed because it held under tension.

Wishing you the best,
Clyde Hollinger