hopeless

istuner@islandia.is istuner@islandia.is
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 18:45:22 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

> I get very few callbacks on my work and take what few I do get as an
> opportunity to build good will.  To be sure, with 3211 names in my customer
> file, I suppose I can afford to lose a few, but I try not to.
>
> Several years ago, I tuned a Yamaha console in a church social hall, and was
> promptly called back.  The woman said her daughter, who was a music student
> at the university (and therefore expert) told her "D below middle C was out
> of tune."  When I returned to check it, it was right on.  But listening to
> it, and comparing to the notes around, it was harsh and stuck out.  I voiced
> it down.  In retrospect, though, I don't think I was smart, on leaving, to
> remark to the woman that her daughter ought to learn the difference between
> "tune" and "tone."  I could have imparted the same information without being
> abrasive.  I've never been called to do any more tuning for them.
>
> Bill Maxim

Well,  it can be really tough sometimes.

Once I was called by a music school out in the country to tune for them.  They had five pianos but there
were oodles and oodles of pianos in the community that I got.

I spent a couple of over-the-hill-crazy-tunamania -days there.

Note; I had to fly over there and I walked between houses!

One month later I called the head teacher of the school.

He said that in fact they werenīt happy with the tuning of two pianos in the school, and they had noticed
this immediately after I left.
My heart sank to hell.  I felt awful.  Why didnīt they tell me before?  Jeeze, I didnīt want to lose these
customers.

I was there the DAY AFTER.
I bought the ticket for my own money, some 300 dollars and went over.
When I got there I looked at the two pianos in question, both Yamaha U1īs.

The atmospheric conditions in the schools are very bad, but the pianos sounded FANTASTICALLY.
Iīm not just saying this.  The temperaments were in concert condition, and I repeat, Iīm not just saying
this.  Iīve tuned for a lot of concerts and a number of CDīs.  Frankly, I was very proud of myself, and
amazed.

Well the head teacher (who plays the trumpet by the way) came in when I played over a third F# - A#
and said: "That oneīs out of tune!"

He had no reference of course since he didnīt hear anything except the first two thirds in the
temperament, and he probably wasnīt listening to the same things we do!
They were SO fine!

I wanted to friggin' bury my tuning hammer tip in the bastardīs occipital area!

Turns out they didnīt communicate too well in the school and the problem wasnīt the tuning.

A new teacher from Poland wasnīt used to the tone of the piano.  It wasnīt very hard, but the room was
pretty small and no one had complained when I was there!  He had a much softer piano in Poland and
the head teacher says "Heīs not happy with the tuning!"

There was a SQUEAK in the pedal!  It wasnīt there more than a month ago.

In the other piano there was a click in one hammer, I fixed it but it has since come back.
Actually the jack rail in the middle was a little off so ppp playing was a little difficult, I simply missed it
when I played it the other time, but no problem to fix.

But no one complained before!

When looking back, I should have heard the click before.  I did however have oodles of pianos on my
schedule.  Even given that, itīs no reason to call a man over the whole country since it wasnīt that bad!

I try to do my best.  The head teacher assured me heīd call me in the spring.  Well, he hasnīt yet, but I
figure he will in the fall.

Sometimes I wish I didnīt give a hoot but I do, and deep down I know itīs better.

Apprehensively posting this,
Kristinn Leifsson,
Reykjavík, Iceland

--