Query: Voicing New Yamaha Hammers

John Gunderson jgunderson@monmouth.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:23:49 -0400

Hi list:

I just installed a complete set of pre-hung Yamaha hammers on a 15 year
old C3.  The job went great until I reinstalled the action and struck a
chord.  I almost shattered every window in the house!!!!  It was VERY
bright!!!!!!  I mean I have heard bright before but this was far beyond
anything I could have expected.   There was no "piano", everything was
"forte".  I have used rubbing alcohol with much success on hard hammers
before, but since these hammers are brand new (and cost $844) I would
appreciated any suggests with regard to toning down.  I am not a big fan
of needling and would like to keep that to a minimum.  I await your

John Gunderson, Associate member, North Jersey Chapter.