Query: Voicing New Yamaha Hammers

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:05:07 -0500

>You need to needle...
>Lance Lafargue, RPT.

>>.. I would
>appreciated any suggests with regard to toning down.  I am not a big fan
>of needling and would like to keep that to a minimum.  I await your
>
>John Gunderson, Associate member, North Jersey Chapter.

There is a Yamaha way of voicing Yamaha hammers, and that is needling in a
specific manner working from the shoulder areas toward the crown.  This
process avoids having to direct needle the crown.  I have seen it
demonstrated by Brian De Tar and have since used that method myself.

It takes a little more effort overall, but the final results are quite
spectacular, the integrity of the hammers is maintained, and you can
monitor the progress towards the desired goal with each needling pass.

I personally would avoid all other methods of voicing on Yamaha hammers
until their method, followed faithfully, would somehow prove to be
unsuccessful.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731