Monochord Curiousity

Piesik, John (JPIESIK) JPIESIK@arinc.com
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:25:07 -0400

Dear List,

I have encountered a peculiar 5-octave, 64 note, all single string unisons,
Monochord, "mini-piano" distributed from Los Angeles, apparently Japanese
made.

The most interesting thing to me is the bass strings. There appears to be a
single core wire with two wound segments, one for each of two notes on this
single, continuos core (there is a gap or space of plain wire of about 8
inches between the two copper windings - this wraps around the hitch pin,
thus separating the two string segments). Creating new bass strings seems
like it would be a challenge. The "hitch pins" appear to be part of the cast
iron plate itself and are about 1/2 inch wide - very odd. If you've seen one
you might be able to visualize what I'm attempting to describe. Also, the
balance rail and front rail pins are very thin.

In most all respects, this thing looks and behaves like a piano, except for
the single string unisons, and it's relatively lightweight. It was over a
half step flat, but came up to A440 and is holding just fine. It only takes
a few minutes to tune it - sort of like tuning an autoharp!

Does anyone have any info they can provide to me on this piano? I would be
interested in knowing a bit of history on it, when and why they were made,
who and how they were made, anything else... (I've got the action in the
shop for numerous required repairs).

Many thanks,

John Piesik, RPT
Piesik's Piano Service
Oceanside, CA
(760) 726-4665
jpiesik@arinc.com

P.S. Please respond directly to my email - I'm not currently subscribed on
the List.