Query: Voicing New Yamaha Hammers

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:34:09 EDT

Yamaha does not want their hammers steamed EVER.  You can't steam them with
any degree of consistancy.  Their hammers aren't made like other hammers and
tend to swell with steam.  Ask a friend of mine about this.  LOL  They
respond well to hammer filing and needling.  Call Yamaha they are always
quick to help.

Ed Tomlinson

<< Hi John,
              Lightly steam them down, but be VERY cautious.  May I refer
 you to the article on this type of hammer treatment, in the May 1999 Journal.
 To be fair to Yamaha. USA. They prefer that their hammers are needled in
 the tradition manner.  They have experienced more than a few horror
 stories, due to aggressive steaming.
 I reiterate, use a 40 watt iron.  It has more control.
 Regards Roger >>

Ed Tomlinson
Cascade Piano
Piano Sales/Piano Technician