Corfam, Nordiska, And Kawai

Patrick C. Poulson ppoulson@jps.net
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 20:11:24 -0700

Hello All! I have three differnet requests for a little information tonight
regarding three pianos I ran into in the last few days.
    1.  I have a customer with a Baldwin console that still has the dreaded
Corfam on the hammer butts and catchers.  Does anyone remember when the
article appeared in the Journal on replacing this stuff? I ordered the
replacement set from Baldwin, which is still free.
    2.  Another customer went to a University piano sale and bought  a
Nordiska piano, which she was subsequently told (after delivery, I might
add) is made in China.  It actually seems like a respectable piano, very
European in design and quality.  The only fault I found was some tuning pins
that didn't have the amount of torque that I would expect in a new piano.
    3.  At the same sale another person bout a Kawai 902 console.  This one
has 4/0 tuning pins.  I've never seen this in a new piano.  Any idea what
might be going one there? Maybe somebody screwed up the first stringing and
had to redo it with larger pins?  ]
    Thanks for your time.  Patrick Poulson, RPT