Sohmer Grand

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 02:08:05 -0500

Hello all,
	I was called in to check out some problems with this old Sohmer grand
23482 #11 (what's the #11?). According to Pierce, this is between 1895
and 1900. The piano was sold as a "rebuild" by a dealer. Amoung other
things it has a new pin block.
	I don't remember having ever seen a piano with a treble bridge like
this. It has agraffes on the bridge for a cut off and no side bearing on
the bridge. The bass bridge is traditional (and nicely done). The other
oddity is that there are no glides on the keyframe.  Anyone with info or
experience with this please share.
	The complaint was that the action was stuck in shift mode and that
hammers were hitting more than one note and needed aligning.
	I unscrewed the endblocks - the action stayed shifted. I removed the
endblocks and keyslip and after a little help, it returned. When I began
to remove the action, I found it snug to the left side. After I got it
out I saw signs of the hammer flange screws hitting the bottom of the
new pinblock. Further, I found that the bass hammers were forced down so
much that they jammed tight on the hammer rest rail. I can't believe
none are broken.
	So I've concluded that the pinblock really needs to be shaved down a
bit. Any thoughts? (I have quite a few myself already)
	After cleaning the bed and keyframe and lighly sanding and freeing the
little wheel in the left endblock it's shifting nicely.
		Swamped with work in Wmbg.......dan j