"Dial-a-Tech"... finding serial numbers..and off-topic nonsense.

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 10:47:03 -0400

> I would even like to see the exams broken down into smaller units so that a
> person could take all of the exams or just one section like the temperment.
> or two sections regulation grand /regulation upright.
> A mountain is easier to climb in stages rather than all at once.
> Joe Goss BS Mus Ed MMus Ed but no RPT O:(

Joe, anyone who cannot pass all the test in one complete day
does not deserve to be RPT until they can do so.  Breaking
down tests into sections would not be acceptable work habits
in the field nor in the exam rooms.  Any RPT should be able
to do the work to an acceptable level...period.  Otherwise
they are not an RPT.

When I took my exams, all in one day, I was stunned at how
simple they were and was disappointed I couldn't show off
how much I did know.  Granted those tests were simpler then
but I was not allowed and wiggle room, those guys wanted the
right answers (even in the tuning exam) and would not accept
less.  I was able to give them more.  Asked what could cause
a click when the key is depressed I gave such an extensive
list the guy had to shut me off because I had vastly
exceeded the test expectation.

I consider today's tests relatively simple, you know your
work or you do not.  The tuning test is far more stringent
than in the past because too many people were getting in on
"beer" or "good ol' boy" status not on skills ability.  As
an examiner I _KNEW_ when someone knew their stuff and when
they did not, as a teacher this is relatively simple.  It
was when someone met a situation with equanimity and greater
skills than mine that I went after the guy to learn what he
know different that what I knew.

I am fairly good at this business but I don't know it all,
as Ron and Del has so kindly pointed out, and I am always
wanting to know what others know that is different that what
I know.  We all must grow, we all start at a starting point,
and the exams are far enough up this scale to purposely
determine if a person knows enough to not be a hazard to
society but low enough that many relative newbies can pass
it.  Craftsmanship is a long was above the test level as it
is set now so I am opposed to making it simpler or easier.
I would like to see it raised not lowered.

Just my not so humble opinion.

		Newton (grandfathered old SOB)