Front Weight Problem

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:13:06 -0400

Richard Breckne wrote:

>Having just purchased a Stanwood kit I got the following numbers for you all
>to work with. (I'll give you the numbers for key # 32, the basic tendencies
>hold for the whole piano)
>
>Strike Weight is 10.2 g
>Strike Weight ratio is 3.6  !!!
>Front Weight is 10.3
>Key Weight Ratio is 0.54
>Whippen Weight Ratio is 17.5
>Balance Weight is 36
>Upweight is 26
>Down Weight is 45

>Now this piano has very strong and heavy whippen assist springs adjusted to
>full strength, probably as an attempt to keep down weight and up weight in a
>reasonable range.

Richard,

Your Balance Weight number has to be measured with the assist spring
disengaged in order for the Strike Weight Ratio calculation to be correct.

Also you need to sample at least two notes in order to get a statistically
valid result.  Actually for minimal sampling I recommend 6 notes
#16,17,40,41,64,65.

David C. Stanwood