Squeezing hammers

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 22:31:45 -0500

Squeezing is the first way I was taught.  As with any method, there is
usually someone to say it is wrong.  So I learned to voice with one needle
from a tech who said squeezing ruined hammers, and anyone voicing with more
than one needle didn't know what they were doing.  But everything written
about voicing I have read condemns his method.  I use the needle because it
is faster (in uprights I don't have to pull back the action) and in grands
if I think of using pliers I find I really should be filing first, and then
if the needle doesn't work OK I would reach for the pliers. But the needle
always works with just a little more time. The pliers should be ground in a
way that they don't give the hammer a "cup".    It may be pliers are more
efficient on hammers that have been hardened.   I am about to harden my
first set so I may have a chance to find out.      ---ric