Front Weight Problem

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:32:57 -0400

Dear Roger,

I've learned alot in the Hundred or so assist spring retrofits I've
done myself and with the help of my agents over the years.  So I'm going
step in an make a few comments in support of helper springs.

>...The main problem is that as time goes by, the springs
>get weaker, and the piper has to be paid.

We've always used copper berylium springs made by Renner and we have not
seen substantial weaking of the springs over time.  When initially adjusted
they loose some tension then stabilize after a few adjustments.  In Hamburg
Steinway actions from the twenties that we've studied the springs are still
working as hard as the day they were adjusted over half a century ago.

There are two big problems with the way these springs have been used:

1. Piano makers weigh off the keys with the assist springs engaged without
regard for the spring tension.  This creates very uneven front weights.  If
you look at the graph on the cover photo in March 2000 Journal you will see
a graph of front weights from a factory weigh off of a Petrof.  Note three
grouping of front weight corresponding to the bottom section with heavy
assist springs the mid section with lighter springs and the top section
with no springs.

We recommend weighing off with the springs disconnected then connecting and
individually tensioning to make the final balance weight.  (we install
adjustment screws to make this task easier)

2. Many piano makers use the springs to take as much as 50 grams off the
touch weight.  This causes "Bouncy Key" and repetition problems.

> The springs should only adjust up to about 5 gms.

We take as much as 25 grams off the touchweight, using a 0.7mm diameter
spring, without ill effect.  Usually we design the springs to take  around
18 grams.
The old Steinways that were adjusted to just support the weight of the just
the wippen take about 10 grams off the balance weight.

>You could make some new springs out of #20 swg piano wire,...

We'll weight until your test results ar in... :)

David C. Stanwood