pitch raise

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:21:06 -0700

Les wrote:

>I would be curious, those who say they can do a pitch raise in one
>sitting, of, say 50%+, do you expect strings to slip not-at-all, or do
>you hand the customer a technical bulletin and say, "I'll guarantee this
>tuning till I get off this bench", then immediately stand up?

I would use the guarantee and stand throughout the tuning. ;-]

IMHO, anytime I come to a piano that hasn't been tuned in some time or is
off from pitch (the last tuner ignored A440), I immediately bring out the
disclaimer.  "Mrs. Jones, I can only do fine tuning when the piano is close
to pitch.  Anytime I have to make any appreciable change in tension while
tuning, the tuning will not be stable.  (I usually don't get into what
"appreciable change" unless the customer needs more info). I will go through
the tuning twice and do my best but please understand this is rough tuning.
I CAN quarantee that it will sound much better than it did.  (The key to
this is confidence and a matter of fact tone of voice)

David I.