Dealer/Piano Owner Relationship

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 23:31:46 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/2000 8:00:11 PM, Terry wrote:

<<"I asked the owner to wait until the dealer pays me for my service call

before we talk to him about other work needed on the piano.">>

Terry;
 I suppose there is nothing wrong with this methodology but it really doesn't
sit well with me for some reason........I can't quite get a handle on exactly
what it is but................

<<"How is this usually handled.">>
 I don't know how it is "usually handled" but the way I would handle it is:

1. I would perform the service as requested by the dealer. I would bill and
'expect' to be paid for 'that' work, i.e.;
"I recently was contacted by a piano dealer in NY to *tune* a new Young Chang
(Bergman - from China)"

2. I would let the 'dealer' know, in detail and in writing, of the problems I
had found while in the process of "tuning".

3. I would include this fault list with my bill for the "tuning".

4. I would not discuss this in 'detail' with the customer. You are at the
customers house as an agent for the 'dealer' you are not there as a
technician for the customer.  If you were there for the customer, then give
the customer the tuning bill and discuss all of the problems in detail with
the customer.

5. This customer bought a low end grand and should expect low end performance
and work......yes the piano 'should' work satisfactorily but peformance
caliber work is not called for nor possible.
(yes I know that some of the thingees you found are inexcusable but they are
there anyway are you are not responsible for them)

6. This is a problem for the 'customer' to handle do not make it your own.

7. If the customer is willing to foot the bill for the work and then seek
reimbursement from the dealer this would be the best of all worlds.

8. No matter the outcome, things like this will leave a bad taste in your
throat.

 Finally....this is not the hill you should choose to die on, there will be
much better opportunities down the road! :-)
My View.
Jim Bryant (FL)