Pearl River Piano

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 20:47:49 -0400

>Of coarse it is, but it says Pearl River not Yamaha on the fallboard.  And it
>is not a "joint Venture" as you discribed.

Well we can argue about the definition of "joint venture" if you care
to, but that's what "Music Trades" April 1995, p. 33 called it:
"Yamaha Corporation has entered into a joint venture with China's
leading piano manufacturer, the Guangzhou Piano Manufactory . . . The
new venture will be called Yamaha Pearl River Piano, Inc."
Maybe you're thinking that "joint venture" means equal partnership.
In the Chinese state context it means foreigners invest a great deal
of capital and lots of new technology, while the Chinese company
retains at least 51% ownership, and total control wherever it's to
their own advantage.
The 1998 Pearl River price list listed the UP-125D, 49" "Joint
Venture, Ebony Only" model at $2495.00 ($500 more than the regular
49" Pearl River piano.