Front Weight--measurements

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:54:05 -0400

Richard,

In response:

>>From what I am, at the moment, able to visualize from these formulas,
>moveing the capstan will only affect (directly) the key ratio. Since this is
>the least significant component in the formula for balance I would think I
>would have to move the capstan a whole lot to significantly affect the
>Strike Weight ratio. Since this obviously is not what is meant to be I can
>only surmize that I am missing something.

Strike Weight Ratio results from the multiplication of key, wippen, and
shank ratios.  When you change the capstan line your changing both key and
wippen ratios so a small change makes a big difference in the Strike Weigth
Ratio.

>Let me illustrate what I am getting hung up on. Dave Page mentioned making a
>0.02 difference in his key ratio. Plugging  this difference into the Balance
>equation without changeing any of the other parameters is not going to make
>a noticible change at all in the Strike Weight Ratio...

Other parameters ARE changed, namely the Strike Weight Ratio

>Further..looking at my own data... I notice that I can change Front weight
>quite a bit while still being able to use the whippen assist springs to
>adjust BW such that these two combined with the remainder of the existing
>data result in exactly the Strike Weight Ratio that David Stanwood calls
>for. Since his grafs also show very low front weights... why should I be
>looking at moveing the capstan instead of adding front weight ??

Because, no matter what front weight you add, the characteristic of the
action will be that of having the weight too far out on the plank.  Lead
weight doesn't change leverage and the problem you have is leverage so lead
weight won't fix it., even with the help of springs.

David C. Stanwood