Dealer/Piano Owner Relationship

Joseph Alkana jfa19@IDT.NET
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 07:23:32 -0700

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM wrote:

> Usually a dealer is not going to want to pay for this type work.  Regulation
> is not provided for in the Warranty.  It is also not considered a defect.  I
> agree this work should be done.  I also feel a good dealer will work with you
> on this or at least want to send his own tech (to pay less $$) to accomplish
> the task.  Good luck and don't hold your breath.
>
> Ed Tomlinson
>
> << This guy bought the piano for his daughter who is 9 and has been playing
> for
>  3 years. He knows nothing about pianos. Maybe the manufacturing defects are
>  what he gets for buying a bottom line Young Chang. But this piano needs a
>  full regulation, and basic tone building (seat all strings, level strings,
>  shape hammers, etc.). I figure at least 8 - 12 hours of work, could use more
>  (weeks). It seems to me that the dealer should at least be willing (and
>  anxious!) to take care of the adjustment-type things - perhaps more.
>
>  I asked the owner to wait until the dealer pays me for my service call
>  before we talk to him about other work needed on the piano. How is this
>  usually handled. I have no experience with this type of situation. I look
>  forward to any and all input.
>
>  Terry Farrell
>  Piano Tuning & Service
>  Tampa, Florida
>  mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
>   >>

> Ed Tomlinson
> Cascade Piano
> Piano Sales/Piano Technician

ED & Terry,
I just wanted to say that last year I found a new Yamaha U3 to be acting
a little strangely. The repetition was not very good, touch felt quite
uneven and measurements of typical specs showed factory inequities. I
contacted Yamaha and they approved a regulation on the spot. Absolutely
no hassles. I don't know if this was unusual behavior or not by Yamaha,
as most of the product I service for them, and I do a lot, is usually
quite good in terms of regulation. So as far as I was concerned it was
an anomaly. Yamaha took care of it promptly, and  as a result the
customer was quite impressed with the way the situation was handled. In
fact the customer, a teacher, referred at least two other people to go
and see the dealer for pianos. What more could anyone want in terms of
customer relations? Yamaha more than got their money out of the
regulation expense in good will generated.

Joseph Alkana  RPT