Disc piano comparisons

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:14:01 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/00 12:15:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
larryf@pacifier.com writes:

<< I have a Chickering Square Grand that I had restored about 13 years ago
 >in Atlanta.  As you know, this is a LARGE instrument.  Although I'm
 >certainly no expert, I think the piano has rather nice sound for a
 >square.  My tuner was quite surprised also. I have a desire to own a
 >piano with modern automation.   Although I really like the Chickering ,
 >having been intrigued by square grands since 1970, I hate to part with
 >it and would probably not get anywhere near my money back in selling
 >it.  Too many instruments in the house to buy another piano so I've
 >considered installing one of these automated units in the square grand.
 >I have no idea what your thoughts are on square grands, but if you were
 >in my shoes would you even consider doing such a thing?  And, if so,
 >which unit do you think would be most adaptable?
 >
 >Tom Lathom
 >Jacksonville, FL >>

Your idea sounds very possible. But I should warn you, that a PianoDisc unit
requires a piano, and especially the action, to be in top condition. It might
sound terrific, but you need to ask your piano tuner if the action of your
piano can withstand the playing of the unit. My guess is that it probably
will not, but you won't know until you try.

Willem Blees