Teaching son

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:27:39 EDT

In a message dated 7/24/00 10:33:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
ginacarter@carolina.rr.com writes:

<< Help,
 > I may be totally crazy, but my 21 year old son has expressed a desire to
 > work in my store/shop and become a piano technician.  (And I am seriously
 > considering it!) >>

Larry

Not that I am against your son wanting to be a piano technician, but have you
asked him why, at the age of 21, he has decided to do this. I started my son
at age 13, and by the time he graduated from high school, he was rebuilding
pianos from top to bottom, and he could tune using an SAT. He worked his way
through college tuning and repairing form me during the summer and on
holidays, but after he graduated with a degree in accounting, and since has
become a CPA, he hasn't touched a piano.

So to get back to your son. Why does he want to follow his father in the
business? Has he tried other fields, other career possibilities? Is he a
musician of sorts? Before investing in Randy's course, be sure this is what
he really wants to do. As I did with my son, start him on the grub work.
unstringing a piano, shaping hammers, cleaning the shop, etc. If he still
likes this work after doing the unglamorous jobs, then start him on the more
challenging work.

Larry, I am not trying to discourage you from getting your son in the
business. But I know 21 year old men. They think they know everything, and
are impatient doing anything but what is fun.

Hopefully your son will be different, and he'll make a great technician. If
he sticks with it, then perhaps in 3 - 5 years he'll know enough to become an
RPT.

Good luck

Wim