Teaching son

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:46:56 +0000

--But I know 21 year old men. They think they know everything, and
are impatient doing anything but what is fun.
Wim--

Whadda hell?  Hey we DO darnit!
I mean, we shall inherit the Earth, and Mars for that matter along with
lunar resources, not to mention the abundance of the asteroid belt.
We HAVE to know everything!

No seriously,
Larry, not that Iīm an RPT or anything.
RPTīs should try to be one or two levels above the rest.  Thatīs the way
they want to look at themselves, after all.

I canīt imagine that those people that made the status in one year were
THAT capable.  A lot of the things we learn is from mistakes, and people
that have been working for ONE year havenīt had time to make that many,
unless they really donīt know what theyīre doing.

I tuned my first whole piano after 2 1/2 months, in 3 1/2 hours, with good
results.  When I came home I tuned for a heavy duty concert two months
later.  The tuning was fantastic, I even heard it on the radio two years
later and was really happy.  Iīve tuned for CDīs, and umpteen concerts and
have had good remarks from the musicians.
However, the expert regulating is something Iīm one cent full of a semi
tone short of.
Contest this if you will, everybody, but to get really proficient in that,
one needs a great deal of experience.

The way Richard Brekne has done this impressed me.  He has great experience
in piano work, and flew through the test.
Thatīs the way it should be done, I think.  This would eliminate the need
for MPTīs, which I think should be an unnecessary group.

Iīm not saying that your son canīt make the test in one year.
But it would be tragic if he made a lot of rookie errors after making this
supposedly prestigious grade.

Kristinn Leifsson,
Reykjavík, Iceland (21, likes skydiving)