[Fwd: O]

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:31:27 -0500

> Carl says that it
>is a
>measure of wire stock, the higher numbers corresponding to thinner stock.
>As the
>stock becomes thicker and thicker, the number keeps declining until it reaches
>zero.  What then?  Simple.  Just like steel wool, you go to 00, then 000, then
>0000, etc.
>
>4/0 is just a shorthand for 0000.  1/0 simply means 0.  The next size smaller
>would be 1, and after that 2, and so forth, with each larger number
>corresponding
>to a smaller size.
>
>Anyone care to comment?
>
>Paul

That's the way wire gages go, but I've looked through my reference books,
and haven't found a standard system that puts 2/0 (00) at 0.282". Wire
diameters for 00 range from 0.008" for music wire, to 0.4452" in the old
Birmingham Gage, with Washburn & Moen, American Steel & Wire, and Roebling
coming closest at 0.331".

It does seem to be a wire gage designation, but it seems to be it's own
single purpose tuning pin gage scale too. So what would that make the
supply house harpsichord and zither pins, #15?

Ron N