Teaching son

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:03:41 -0500

Jon Page wrote:

> At 07:18 PM 07/24/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>
>      Help,
>      I may be totally crazy, but my 21 year old son has expressed
>      a desire to
>      work in my store/shop and become a piano technician.  (And I
>      am seriously
>      considering it!)
 		Jon - you're a piano tech - I think that certifies you
already..grin..

>      My thought is to have him spend 3 months tuning nothing but
>      unisons
>      before advancing on to the simpler intervals.

			I can't think of a more sure way to drive a 21 year old away from
learning to tune. Would you want to just tune unisons for 3 months?
(aside from the other tech work)

		  I would only take him on this endeavor if he were willing to
>      really do
>      the work and I would expect him to be able to handle some of
>      the outside
>      tunings in 6 months.

		All of this is fine as long as you are flexible as to his response to
your idea of the learning curve. He will learn at his own rate of speed,
not yours. I think 6 months is a pretty intense and tough goal to make -
not impossible - but do you think you were tuning well in 6 months? I
have a hard time believing anyone could do more than a somewhat
satifactory job after 6 months.
		You need to arrive at a mutual decision as to how to procede...then
you have a chance of success.
		Best of luck - I only hope my son (now 11) will have a desire to learn
any of the skills I have worked so long to achieve.
					Dan J in Wmbg

.