Pinblock/Frame Separation

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 00:35:57 -0500

Farrell wrote:
:

> 1) The plate is bent forward quite a bit - especially in the hi treble. If
> you draw a line from the pressure bar in the     high treble, extending out
> to the edge of the plate, this is where most of the bend occurrs (at the
> base of the     pinblock). Question: when I draw the pinblock/plate back to
> its original position against the frame, do I risk         cracking the
> plate?
Do I understand that you believe that the plate is bent? How much? Would
it be in a smooth curve from bottom to top? I thought plates were cast
iron and wouldn't survive being bent - creased essentially. I've had the
good fortune to only have done this repair once, so I'm with you - I'd
be concerned.

> 3) There are broken chunks of wood (big splinters, etc.) debris lying
> between the pinblock back and the frame     front.  I feel the
> need to get this stuff out before repairing . All I can think of is
> coathanger technology. Anybody have any     better ideas????
	With a half inch gap you can get a small vacuum nozzle down there. It
wouldn't be hard to rig up a tube to the nozzle and suck it all out. Or
you could blow it out.
> 4) How long does this entire repair take you to complete
	Don't forget the return tune after the pitch raise.
					Dan J in Wmbg VA