Why not to tune a piano?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:37:31 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/00 12:14:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
DavidR2464@AOL.COM writes:

<< I think it is time that piano tuning
 and repairing is licensed by the federal government.  Get rid of the RPT.
 Everyone has to pass a state test and convert the PTG into the club it
really
 belongs. >>

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!  What a ridiculous idea!   It has, however, been been thought
of before but only by liberal political types who think the government must
be in control oof everything.  Piano service is an art and craft.  Yes, there
are some standards but as has been clearly demonstrated by the profession
itself, these standards are only basic concepts.

Do you think you could *require* me to tune a piano in Equal Temperament
(ET), for example?  Hmmmm?  Think again and think about it long and hard.  Do
you think you could *require* ANYONE to do something which only a very few
people have ever even been capable of?  Shall we *all* be *required* to set
our hammer blow distances with a crummy little ruler at 1 7/8" ?  Or should
there be a metric equivilant?  It can't and will never happen.

Does an artist who paints or draws pictures need a license from the Federal
government?  Let's see, what kinds of regulations could be put on how to
paint a picture?  We can measure a person's tuning and other skills to a
certain degree and that is what the PTG Exams do but to echo Jim's words,
you'll never pry my tuning hammer from my tendonitis afflicted, torn rotator
cuffed right arm with any government decree or licensing requirement.

The days of Big Brother government in the US are over.  We've got a couple of
common sensed, big oil guys set to take over come January and if anything,
there will be far less regulation *and* fewer taxes, not more.

Join PTG, take and pass the Exams if you can manage to do so but otherwise,
let your fellow technician do his/her own thing.  The marketplace will decide
who is fit to stay in business, not people minding each other's business.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin