Dampp-Chasers & Dryness

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:41:16 -0400

>Eventually the management allowed me to fit a double tank complete system (set at 42%) to the piano.  This was 6 months ago. The piano was tuned at that time.
>
>Three months later the piano had risen in pitch by 5 cents across the entire piano. I noticed very little difference in the torque of the pins.
>
>I have just retuned the piano and noticed the pitch had once again risen by 5 cents but this time pins that were only just holding where holding much better.  The buss sound has decreased and the action has tightened to a point that I am now going to adjust the rep. springs on my next visit.
>
>After the concert finished, I touched up the piano only to a minor degree and then for the first time fitted a cover to the piano that hangs down to the floor. the cover is made from the same material as the waterproof covers on the back of utilities (Light trucks).  This cover has a lining of softer material.
>
>It will be interesting to see the results over the next few months.
>
>Regards
>
>Tony Caught ICPTG
>Australia
>caute@optusnet.com.au

Tony,

You_know you've just saved the piano!  It's virtually impossible to get the humidity into the action and pin block area on a grand but the cover will cause the lid to stay down thus assisting humidity distribution. Expect the pitch to sharpen again.

Should you find the monthly temp and humidity readings, please pass them along.

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario
(Hot & humid. Yikes!)