Pinblock/Frame Separation

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:43:36 -0400

The plate in a 243 is not as strong as it could be nor is it
weak enough that can be bent to any degree, as described,
without breaking.  Cast iron is flexible over a long
distance but not over such a short distance as from plate
top and pinblock bottom.  It just isn't going to happen.

When restoring a grand piano we are careful in the extreme
to NOT put undue strain on the plate and extremely careful
to set the plate so we get good bearing and superior
support.  This includes raising or lowering the pinblock in
order to get proper elevation for good stability and good
bearing.

In this piano the degree of separation is extreme and _any_
displacement from the factory setup will indeed effect
bearing, tone, sustain and likely durability.

Pulling the crack as closed as is humanly possible without
totally dismantling the piano is the goal and leaving any
gap through inattention or indifference is doing the owner
and the piano a major disservice.

Factory assembly as under best possible conditions.  That
luxury is not available so we absolutely must do the best
possible to return the piano to as new specifications and
condition.

There has been a lot of good ideas on this thread and your
is a good question.  The how nots are as important as the
hows.

		Newton