Pinblock/Frame Separation

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:03:14 -0400

Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear about the necessity of a band-aid.  Hope nothing's damaged
beyond healing.

You brought something up...
> <snip>...after tightening the nuts and trimming the bolts...<snip>

I'm curious as to how you trim the bolts?  In some of those locations, it's
a bit difficult to even get a nut on the bolt, let alone 'trim' it.   The
only thing that came quickly to mind was while the clamps were still in
place, marking the bolt in it's tightened position, removing the bolt, and
removing the excess length by any means handy.

(Having worked in a shop setting has made me think along the lines of
putting the little sucker in the vice and hack sawing it off, maybe take the
angle grinder to it to knock off the rough edges, and move it 2 feet back to
the piano, or if I can get to it, heck, just take the grinder to it.  But
not in someone's living room...  It's hard to break out of a shop
mentality.)

It's probably one of those <hand slap to forehead> "why didn't I think of
that" kind of things, so please, be gentle with me.  :-)

You did mention getting glue in a wound.  I've heard of times where people
would purposefully super glue a bad cut back together to help stop bleeding
until proper attention can be had.  I wouldn't want to get the stuff too
deep into the wound, but just across the top of the skin might be helpful in
that rare circumstance.  (I think I've been watching too much of the
Discovery Health channel.  All kinds of real time operations in graphic
detail.  Cool.)

So, how do you chop those bolts off?

Brian T.