Pinblock/Frame Separation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:44:10 -0400

> > 1) The plate is bent forward quite a bit - especially in the hi treble.
If
> > you draw a line from the pressure bar in the     high treble, extending
out
> > to the edge of the plate, this is where most of the bend occurrs (at the
> > base of the     pinblock). Question: when I draw the pinblock/plate back
> > its original position against the frame, do I risk         cracking the
> > plate?
> Do I understand that you believe that the plate is bent? How much? Would
> it be in a smooth curve from bottom to top? I thought plates were cast
> iron and wouldn't survive being bent - creased essentially. I've had the
> good fortune to only have done this repair once, so I'm with you - I'd
> be concerned.

Yes, as I indicated "If you draw a line from the pressure bar in the high
treble, extending out to the edge of the plate, this is where most of the
bend occurrs (at the base of the pinblock). The whole area of the plate,
behind which lies the pinblock, is bent forward so that the base of the
pinblock is in contact with the back framing and the top of the pinblock is
separated from the frame along the entire length of the piano by a good (or
rather scary!  :-o) half-inch. The bend is along a band across the entire
plate, with the bent band only about one inch wide. That is why I am
concerned about CRAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!! (although none is apparent
now).  I'll keep you posted. I already warned the piano owner that it
appeared that there is some chance of the plate cracking - but that it is no
good as it is now. (none of the dampers lift from the strings because the
strings are so far forward!)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida