Pinblock/Frame Separation

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:51:01 -0500

>Hi Bill. Thanks for the input. No, I have not done this repair yet. The
>piece of hardwood for the carriage bolt stability sounds like a winner. Ron
>N. suggested using 3/8" dia. bolts. The 8 counter-sunk-headed plate screws
>along the top of the plate that I will be replacing with the thru-bolts were
>5/16" dia. Do you think the nut on the plate side of the carriage bolt will
>sit alright covering the counter-sunk feature in the plate? Oh, and hey,
>lunch was cool!
>
>Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,
An alternative to the hardwood strip is a large washer, the ID of which
just fits over the square part of the carriage bolt shank. The 1 1/2" (or
so) OD makes a big enough bolt head to not pull into the soft back too
badly, and it ends up a lot closer to flush with the back than using the
hardwood. A lock washer and nut in the plate countersink work just fine.
Also, in the piano I did today, I added a bolt in the low treble where
there wasn't one before, but there was room above the tuning pins, so I
could get a bolt through a back post there. Made me feel more secure about
the fix.

Ron N