Pinblock/Frame Separation

Rodney Pritchett rodneycp@bellsouth.net
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:07:52 -0400

Farrell wrote:

> Hi Bill. Thanks for the input. No, I have not done this repair yet. The
> piece of hardwood for the carriage bolt stability sounds like a winner. Ron
> N. suggested using 3/8" dia. bolts. The 8 counter-sunk-headed plate screws
> along the top of the plate that I will be replacing with the thru-bolts were
> 5/16" dia. Do you think the nut on the plate side of the carriage bolt will
> sit alright covering the counter-sunk feature in the plate?

It will if you put a lock washer (i.e. split washer) on and then the
nut.  The lock washer seem to take up the counter-sink nicely.

Also, I have used fender washers along with the regular washer on the
back side of the piano to spread out the pulling surface - provided the
fender washers are not too tall.

When drilling the holes, I have found it helpful to have the vacuum
cleaner running with the hose positioned just below the drill bit so as
to catch the wood chips as they come out.  Less mess to clean up that
way.  It takes a bit of juggling to get it positioned just where you
want it, unless you have a helper.

Oh - wear safety glasses!  It's scary when a  3/8 bit binds in the plate
hole and snaps in half.

R©dney Pritchett
Marietta, GA