21-year Journal CD (was Re: Tuning Pin Torque)

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:48:42 -0500

on 7/29/00 9:46 PM, John Ross at piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

> I will be glad when the Journal on CD, comes out... That search feature on
> the CD will be great. I hope they inform us soon, we can order it. Or can
> we pre-order now?

Like other large software projects, the PTG's 21-year archive of Journals on
CD is proving to be somewhat more time-consuming than anticipated.

For example, it became a bit complex just to find all of the Journals that
were published in 21 years. There was one month during 1979-1999 in which no
Journal was published; we had to make _sure_ that no issue was published.

Also, during some of the 21 years, the annual Directory of the PTG took up a
Journal slot. We have to identify all the directory issues and be sure they
are handled in uniform fashion on the CD's. (We do not plan to re-publish
the directory listings from the Directory issues; rather, we are planning to
include only the President's messages and ads, etc., but skip the actual
directory lists.)

A big detail still being worked out is making _sure_ that the search and
navigation functions work as expected. As I say, we're still working on
_that_ one.   :)

Kent Swafford