unison clean-up, string voicing

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 23:23:21 -0700

Richard, I think rubbing the string possibly might change the voicing
and false beats by changing the sharpness of the bend as the wire
exits the bearing.

I don't really think that there would be much heat, or that it
would change the pitch for more than a few seconds, but then, I haven't
tried it. Rubbing the string might seat it deeper into the bridge, also.
Long term this might not be all that beneficial, but short term it
might help false beats.

Then there's the "terrorize the wire" theory ... sometimes it seems
that just by mildly unsettling the wire in any way the tone will improve, at
least temporarily. ("Help! We'd better clean up our act, or she may
maul us again!") <grin>

Susan