Decibel Levels

Carl Teplitski koko99@mb.sympatico.ca
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 05:56:11 -0500

Point:            Sound levels attained by opening a Grand lid.

Exposing the soundboard, strings, must have an effect
on perception of total sound available. Possibly because
more frequencies are apparent. Agreeing with the thought
that out of tune unisons seem louder. Also, some  pianos
provide a lid opening prop in order to allow more frequencies/sound
to escape ?? Is that what happens ?

Had occasion to tune a very badly out of tune upright a long time ago.
Sounded like an out of tune honky tonk (how could that be ) instrument.
I use that term very loosely. I was very new to the business, so what
happened next really upset me. I handle it much better now. After
tuning,
the woman who owned the piano sat down to play, looked at me strangely,
and said, you,ve taken all the tone out of this piano!! At that instant
I,m
sure I became more caucasian than I normally am. I now can spar with
a lot more conviction than I did then. Anyway ,she thought the piano
was anemic and dull sounding compared to before the tuning. I didn,t
think I could return the piano to where it was, though I sure would
have liked to.    I,ve gone so far as to make a recording of a piano
before tuning, so a comparison could be made later. The customers
don,t think the piano is that bad, but others suggested that it needed
correction. Usually, she/he sees a big difference, or at least says so.
Octaves,4th,5th, don,t sound as loud as 3rds.!!     ( My opinion.)
So in conclusion;   I think ear plugs must attenuate some frequencies,
which of course lowers the total sound reaching the nerve endings.
Very interesting subject. Needs a lot more discussion. I will be
looking for same.

Carl