open face pinblock

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Mon, 1 May 2000 07:14:32 EDT

Have you considered drilling the holes, then applying the veneer, then
drilling through the veneer with a round file instead of a drill bit?  It
might be possible to use an exacto blade to quickly cut around the edge of
the hole, then string.  If the veneer is very thin, 1/64th of an inch, you
might be able to  punch it  through cleanly with the end of a tuning pin
using finger pressure.

You might be able to brush very thin hot hide glue on the back of the veneer,
let it dry enough  to lose some of the water, then iron it on.  I did this
once, but I cannot remember the project. ( It was not an open faced
pinblock.) I used this technique in player work, gluing on cloth right over
the needed ports, then cutting out the holes when dry. It made for a very
accurate and clean job.

Bill Simon
Phoenix