moving piano away from wall

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 1 May 2000 10:19:04 -0700

I think the idea of sheet metal on the castors is a great one.  I also think
you have to let the customer know that damage is a possibility and you as
one man can only do so much.  If the customer is reluctant they can always
have a piano mover, at their expense, move the piano safely but I suppose
this would kill the sale in some instances, although you might just as well
not be doing the work with that kind of a customer.

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of bases-loaded@juno.com
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 9:07 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: moving piano away from wall

Greetings -

Considering that we all must move pianos large and small away from
people's walls from time to time for normal servicing, I would be
interested in hearing what precautions/methods, if any, some of you
employ when performing this task alone (which I assume, of course, is
most always) when the piano is on a wood floor.

I recall Ed recommended the use of strips of galvanized metal to use as
runners.  I also recall Jon suggesting using padding under each end and
'scooting' or sliding the piano across the wood floor.

Any other suggestions or ideas?  I admit to having taken no precautions
for many years with absolutely no problem, but will now change my
approach when the piano has metal casters and is on a wood floor.

All ideas welcome!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com