Grand Rim Construction

Woodrow, John (Parramatta) John.Woodrow@pil.com.au
Tue, 2 May 2000 18:21:02 +1000

List,
Every time I see a reference in a post on the list on the superiority of
sound created by a grand piano using hard maple in the rim construction over
one using 'select hardwood', I must admit I scratch my head as to the reason
why.

Is the answer the dense maple reflects more sound back onto the strings and
soundboard I ask myself.  Surely 'select hardwood' covered in polyester on
both sides is a pretty dense and reflective surface so this doesn't seem to
explain it to me.

Can somebody please put me out of my misery by explaining the secret that
everybody else seems to understand but me, of why all other things being
equal, construction of a grand with a hard maple rim creates a piano with a
superior tone to one with a 'select hardwood' rim.

Regards,
John Woodrow
Sydney, Australia ICPTG