Grand Rim Construction

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 May 2000 09:03:06 EDT

<<Can somebody please put me out of my misery by explaining the secret that
everybody else seems to understand but me, of why all other things being
equal, construction of a grand with a hard maple rim creates a piano with a
superior tone to one with a 'select hardwood' rim.
Regards,
John Woodrow>>

John;
 The answer is it doesn't "create a piano with a *superior* tone", needfully.
 What it does do is create a piano with a 'more refelective' rim assembly due
to the compactness of the wood fiber/cellular structure/closegrain/etc.  This
in turn allows more of the vibrations to be trapped in/reflected back into
the soundboard/bridge assembly for transmission to the air rather than being
absorbed into, and dissipated by, a "select hardwood" rim assembly.
 Overall "tone", with all other things being equal, is not "superior" with
either type of construction.  However that being said a denser wood used in
the rim will give: 1. longer sustain 2. greater responsivenes in ranges  ppp
to fff 3. more volume  4. more projection (note 3 & 4 are not the same).
This is not to say that one type of construction is superior but they
difinitely offer different characteristics in different areas of performance.
I have heard many excellent pianos with both types of construction and while
some would have been much more sutied to a performance venue than would
others have been, I don't think that one could say that this neccessiatates
labeling one or the other as having a "superior" overall tone.
 All that having been said..............I would dearly love to hear a Yamaha
C3 that had been constructed with a HARD maple rim!! :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)