Grand Rim Construction

Tue, 2 May 2000 08:09:00 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul <tunenbww@clear.lakes.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 02, 2000 5:47 AM
Subject: Re: Grand Rim Construction

> Ron
> How do you explain the kerfed rim that Bosendorfer uses?
>
> Paul Chick

I'd prefer not to.  The Bosendorfer is a hold-over from late eighteenth
century piano design and I have never much cared for the overall tone
performance of the piano.  And, no.  I don't argue with those who really
like it.  In most cases, however, clients I've had with Bosendorfers were
quite blind to their tonal limitations, preferring to focus on the
Bosendorfer mystique.

Quite a few compromises have been made to make up for the sustain lost to
the rim -- indeed, I have frequently used this design to explain the
problems inherent with trying to make the piano rim into a soundboard.  The
piano is very difficult -- i.e., expensive -- to build and all that expense
does not translate into superior performance.  Their new line of 'low-cost'
pianos are probably better musical instruments.

In my opinion...

Del