Overs Action (was aptta conv)

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 3 May 00 09:30:18 +1000

Richard Moody wrote,

(re the action drawing at www.overspianos.com.au/actn.jpeg)

>    Interesting pictures.  Is that a spring adjusting screw just behind the
>wippen flange?  ---ric

Yes, it is there for 'fine tuning' the tension on the wippen helper
spring. The upweight/downweights (43/53 with a 10.5 gram hammer) of the
prototype models, were achieved with one 1/2" key lead only.

Some technicians may prefer to use two leads with less assist spring
pressure, since the higher the spring pressure, the less reliable will be
the catching of the hammer tail during soft playing. However, we found
that the checking was acceptable with one lead weight only in our models
(we used a 10.5 gram hammer only for the action development since we were
interested in looking at the worst case scenario - the bass).

There are slight action efficiency benefits to be had from the employment
of assist springs in conjunction with less lead. Apart from the obvious
reduction in key inertia, the assist spring is able to partly support the
hammer through one friction-pair only (the jack/knuckle), whereas any use
of extra key leads will be required, as a consequence of their location
in the key, to partly support the hammer through two friction surfaces
(the capstan/heel plus the jack/knuckle).

The repetition lever spring is also adjustable with a similar grub screw.
We used 3mm metric hexagon socket grub screws for our prototypes (these
require a 1.5 mm Allen key for adjustment). I feel inclined to use them
in the production version also.

Any preferences out there list, between the traditional blade screw type
set screw and the hexagon socket type?

Ron E. Overs

Overs Pianos, Sydney Australia
Email:   sec@overspianos.com.au