Kawai "beast"

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Tue, 2 May 2000 20:19:34 -0500

List,

Kawai 902-F #AC8667 vertical. This was the second tuning I have done on this
fairly new piano (3 yrs old, according to the owner). My impression on the
first visit (6/99) was that it was a nice piano. On the second visit (4/00),
I noticed some trouble with the treble section. There is so much falseness,
making it extremely difficult to tune octaves, as well as unisons (but
especially octaves). I did not check the bridge for loose pins or bad
notching. What about the pressure bar adjusted improperly? To check this, I
pressed a rubber mute against the section of string in between the t-pins
and pressure bar, and the noise was lessened. This makes me think that the
garbage is related to the pressure bar since its function is to eliminate
this kind of noise.

Does anyone know of this falseness being a problem with this model Kawai?
This is the only one of that model I service, so I cannot compare it to
others, although most of the Kawai verticals have been quite nice. Some
falseness, but nothing like this one. Anyone have suggestions?

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS