"New" old uprights

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 3 May 2000 11:57:57 EDT

In a message dated 5/03/2000 10:55:26 AM, David P. wrote:

<<This is but one of my concerns about "rebuilding" old uprights.
dave>>

Dave;
 Very valid point of concern.  Unfortunately the same thing holds true with
grands. It is very, very easy to get into a situation where the cost of
repair/rebuild/remanufacture exceeds to worth of any instrument when speaking
to intrinsic/actual/perceived value.  Emotional value... we as a trade have
no business placing a price tag on and thus does not enter into this
discussion for all intents and purposes.
  The only thing that I know to do is to be pointedly honest with cost of
repair vs estimated value after completion. In quite a few instances this has
resulted in quotes in the 8-10 thou range where the expected value of the
instrument was in the 4 to 5 thou range. It is oftentimes difficult to judge
a estimated value on thingees like uprights or Butterfly grands, etc..... so
in those instances I will use a comparable modern product as closely as
possible.
  In summation I believe the economic decisions belong to the customer and
the technical decisions belong to us as technicians. If after our best,
considered, honest, opinion and guidance a customer decides to have the work
done..... well we need not worry about the future viability of their
decision. If we, as a group, are selective in what we can and can't, will and
won't, should and shouldn't do, or promise, we can sleep well and look
forward to the next challenge whatever the outcome of the last one eventually
is.  After all we may get lucky and find a Starr grand with no plate
fasteners!! :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)